Thursday 1 April 2010

In honor of my four gods


Now, I've stated before that I'm not a believer, and I am. Not, I mean.
Err...
Anyway....
So, why the three "gods", do you ask?
Well, it's pretty simple. My previous post was cause to some concern (admittedly, from my parents, but still) and people might wonder how I got through such a difficult time in my life *wink wink*.

This, is where the four "gods" come into play. So, we've got 3 great gods, or übergods, and one lesser.
Now, my first god is probably Alexander Graham Bell, but I'm not sure if he deserves that place. I mean, he did some amazing things, but he also gave us the friggin' phone. Bastard.

Just....gnyaah!

But what he gave us in return was.... THE SHOWER! Bet you didn't know that, did you?
Now, I'd erect a statue for Bell if that was the only thing he'd invented. After all, isn't a hot shower after a long day, or after a migraine, one of the best feelings you've ever had? Oh, the Egyptians and Greeks both invented a pot with holes in it, to make it "rain", but Bell's idea was what spawned the modern day shower. My eternal love for you, sir. ^^

Next up are the dual pair (No, my gods are not based on stars. Shush you) : Chiharu Kubokawa and Charles Yost.

To avoid confusion:
This is not Kubokawa and Yost. This is just a lame joke.

Who the hell are they, do you ask?
These people work at NASA and invented memory foam, the stuff that makes really expensive beds so cool. Now, I wouldn't even know if I ever slept on a memory foam-bed, but I do know that they are the only people who's name is actually mentioned when BEDS are considered. I can't call a bed my god, I need a name (there's no point in worshipping if there's nothing/noone there to worship, right? ;) ). So, hats off to both of you, but you're stealing some Louis Quatorzian inventor's thunder.

Last off is Joseph von Mering. Once again: Who? Could you stop yelling names, and please just tell us what they did, so we can get to the point? Why yes, imaginary person in my head. And could you stop talking to yourself? Why? No, who. Oh, right.
...
Anyway :D

Joseph von Mering is the man who invented Paracetamol. There. Now you know :)
Oh, all right, all right. Paracetamol is used in DAFALGAN. (for you Americany people out there: it's the European Pain-and-fever-killer, mkay?)

Two, please

EDIT: A LITTLE WARNING IN BIG LETTERS:
PARACETAMOL IS ACTUALLY TOXIC. NO MORE THAN 4 GRAMS PER DAY, UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT A NEW LIVER.

If it wasn't for these people, my migraine spells might be unbearable. But as it is, I'm happy to have been born AFTER these people. It increases my sanity and life span. So, thankies for happies ^^

Also:
Interesting fact. The Dutch word "Bruistablet" is translated with "Effervescent Tablet". There is, however, almost no decent way to know this, as neither the word "Bruistablet" or "Effervescent Tablet" are to be found on wikipedia.
Bruistablet itself is translated by "reliable online translators" as "Tablet Sparkles". I don't know if that's the name my 6 year old niece gave it, or a description of what they'd do if they were invented by Stephenie Meyer.


5 comments:

  1. In the last picture: is he _drugged_? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naah. He just had too much to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He always looks like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The English name is 'dissolving pill', I think.

    And yes, he always looks like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope.
    English name is Effervescent Tablet. Look it up. It dissolves, I know, but in England, if something is easy or obvious, it's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete